Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Download YouTube Videos as MP4 Files

I don't think I've ever had a reason to do this, but if I ever did, I'm sure I'd much rather have an MP4 file than crappy Flash video.

An interesting side-effect of YouTube's recent push for higher quality videos is that most videos can be downloaded as MP4 files directly from YouTube. Until now, you could only get FLV files from your browser's cache or using one of the many websites that let you download YouTube videos.
Why would I prefer MP4 files over FLV? That's easy.
YouTube's MP4 files have a higher resolution, stereo sound and can be played with applications like VLC, MPlayer, iTunes, QuickTime. Not all YouTube videos can be downloaded as MP4 files and the fallback format is FLV.
Jump get the properly formed URL, bookmarklet, and/or Greasemonkey script.

Jump

1 comment:

  1. Watch YouTube HD - higher definition, and download MP4 videos, check this site :

    http://www.ouideo.com/youtube/

    Really good !

    ReplyDelete